The Association for Women in Extractives in Kenya (AWEIK) are hosting a virtual zoom conference on the 12th July 2021.
This year’s theme is: Responsible Sourcing of Gemstones and Gold from Mines To Market.
The conference will seek to:
- Offer assistance in understanding on the complexities around mainstreaming the gemstone and gold sectors in Africa.
- Uncover ASM’s contributions in the advancement of Africa.
- Propel better understanding into the sources of gemstones and gold from mine to market.
- Support responsible sourcing and meaningful dialogue that scales up the sector by encouraging partnerships and technological innovations.
- Highlight the role that women can play to foster peace where gemstones and gold are mined and harness support for the women who, against all odds, are mining in hardship areas.
Key Speakers will be:
Dr. Lynda Lawson – Training and Knowledge Transfer Manager at the Centre for Social Responsibility in Mining in the Sustainable Minerals Institute
Mr Moses Kulaba – East Africa’s Regional Manager of the Natural Resources Governance Institute (NRGI)
Dr Assheton Stewart Carter, Ph.D – Founder and CEO of TDi Sustainability
Audrey Alimila Mulama – Director of KECBO CIC
Donga Nqobizitha – Advocacy and Constitutional Literacy Officer at Zimbabwe Christian Alliance
Rebecca Burton – Director of Communications and Corporate Engagement IRMA
Stuart Pool – Co-Founder – Moyo Gemstones Project
Dr. Melba Wasunna – Chairperson of Association of Women in Energy and Extractives in Kenya
Susan Wheeler – Jewelry designer and Founder of The Chicago Responsible Jewelry Conference
Lemaiyan Lemein – Consultant at The Mining Gallery Africa